We are excited to announce that Sugar Beet Schoolhouse will be making our home at River Forest Kitchen in the new year!
2017 will kick off with a bang for our growing non profit as we take over the building at 349 Ashland. In addition to expanding our cooking classes and workshops in this beautiful space, we will offer new classes on food growing and sustainability in our greenhouse as well as host community events, private parties and more.
The space will continue to serve as a shared commercial kitchen for many local artisan food producers, as it has since 2015.
We could not have made this move without the support of everyone- from volunteer dishwashers to pro bono attorneys. We are nothing without our community. Thank you for your continued support! We are also grateful to our new partners, Adam + Mike at Brand & Co. for their trust and willingness to support our vision. This is an opportunity of a lifetime!
This past year has been an incredible year of growth and learning for our team:
- We worked with 2 elementary schools to offer The Good Food Experience after school program that invites young people to explore food from all angles.
- We collaborated with Hephzibah Childrens' Association, Oak Park Education Foundation and the Park District of Oak Park to offer cooking and gardening programs to the community.
- We built several popular youth culinary programs at River Forest Kitchen and we are thrilled to see students come back for more!
- We partnered with Autre Monde in Berwyn to create two AMAZING Family Dinner events that gave our young chefs the experience of a lifetime.
- With support from the Park District of Oak Park, we grew and donated over 900 lbs of fresh produce to the Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry with the help of participants from Oak Leyden and WSSRA at Cheney Mansion.
2017 IS HERE!
Right now we are busy dreaming up classes, testing recipes and spreading the word about our new class schedule... can you help us? Share with a friend! Sign up for a class, too!
New classes include a Preschool Cooking Class, Elementary Cooking Class and a School's Out Baking Blitz for Jan 16th. We are also no offering wellness classes for young people that explore DIY body care like lip balms and bath bombs! So much fun.
CHECK OUT OUR ENTIRE CLASS LISTING HERE
If you like what we are doing, please support our new project with a tax deductible donation. Your financial contribution (no matter what amount!) will help us build a preschool culinary classroom, plant our new greenhouse and enable us to continue offering scholarships to students for educational workshops and classes that truly engage people in our food system. Donate online here.
Best Wishes for a Healthy & Happy New Year,
Founder/ Executive Director
Sugar Beet Schoolhouse
349 Ashland Ave.
River Forest, IL 60305
(JUST LOOK AT THAT ADDRESS! SO COOL!)